Re: [OM] Warm Beer...(no Oly content)

Subject: Re: [OM] Warm Beer...(no Oly content)
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 98 12:01:41 BST
>Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:50:18 -0700
>From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
>Subject: Re: [OM] Warm Beer...(no Oly content)
>
>    Clive,
>
>      I knew I'd pull at least one Nortonite out of this bunch :) Mine was
>   a '72 with the Combat750 engine. When the Lucas electronics weren't
>   acting up, and the Amals weren't leaking, and there was JUST the right
>amount
>   of oil in the primary, it had VERY impressive power for a 750.
>      Having knocked Lucas, I feel in fairness to the Brits that I mention
>   Marshall has long been held as one of the best guitar amps out there. Being
>   a bassplayer, I use Ampeg SVT, of course. But I DO have a Marshall
>MicroBass
>   practice stack.
>      Oh, and my favorite afterwork stop is the British Pub down the
>street from
>   my work where I drink Guiness and Death&Taxes (a local dark simular to
>   Guiness, but a bit different taste):)
>                                                    enjoy,
>                                                      Brad

Brad,

You are a man with taste, OMs and a Combat :-)

The '72 Combat developed so much power that it used to destroy the crank
main bearings - I replaced mine with SuperBlends (barrel shaped rollers)
which increased vibration but meant you could turn the tap on full.
Shimming up the Isolastic suspension to nearly solid (1 or 2 thou) made it
handle.  Better off in a Featherbed frame (developed by a Scot).

There is another British machine in the garage which is a Rhind-Tut
grass-track outfit I put on the road.  Now a belt drive so no oil in the
primary. Similar frame to the Rickman (another Brit racer) with an 850cc
Commando motor and a frame sidecar with loads of handholds - not for the
faint hearted.

My old stage amp. is a British "Loud" stack.  One Marshall and one Fender
speaker in a cab., valve (tube) chassis from a Marshall with all circuits
designed by a guy from Roost amps (another British concern) with a Fender
reverb. unit.  Crank it up and the harmonic distortion is superb.  Lost
count of the number of people who tryed to buy it from me......  Currently
has a LNIB 50mm f1.8 MC OM lens sitting on top of the amp.  The culmination
of the 50mm thread.....

I drink Guiness in Southern Ireland (Limerick a few weeks ago) or the Isle
of Man whenever possible as it always tastes better.  Can't wait to try
Death & Taxes - where is local?

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com