[OM] film resolution and aperture

Subject: [OM] film resolution and aperture
From: Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 03:57:41 -0600 (MDT)
After thinking more about the notion that film resolution is affected
by aperture, I've concluded that it seems to be a misguided notion.

When talking about the effects of combining film and lens into a single
system we talk about film resolution as some property exclusively
of the film and measured independent of anything else (and independent of
any lens) and aerial resolution of the lens as being independent of anything
else, including film.

So, to talk about the effect of lens aperture on film resolution is
talking about some property of the combined system of lens + film,
whatever that might be, but it isn't a property of film to the exclusion
of all else including the lens.

In other worse, I do believe that aperture affects on-film resolution in
the combined system, but it is outside the defining scope of film
resolution to talk about the affect of an aperture.

j. albert