Re: [OM] OM non-obsolescence?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM non-obsolescence?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 13:42:12 -0700
This is the single greatest reason I have little worry over the future of
the OM system.  Within the complete system of OM attachments and
accessories, I can obtain the exact correct piece I need to photograph
anything on God's green Earth - and beyond <g>.  Motor drives, remote
controllers, microscope attachments, telescope attachments, and on and on.
I realize the prices will go up and the collectors' value outpaces original
cost plus inflation.  But that does not devalue the system in any way.  I
don't worry about third party lens makers bailing out for AF only.  I don't
worry that the OM-5 will never materialize.  I *do* worry that eventually
all the artisians who can repair these marvels will eventually stop doing
so, and there are precious few young people learning the craft.  It's is
"more cost effective" to replace rather than repair.  A sad truth.  Only
when they can no longer be maintained and repaired will they have lost their
usefulness.

One of the many things that attracted me to OM way back in the 70's was the
completeness of the whole system.  Back then I never believed I would
actually own as much of it as I do today.  But Pentax had dumped the screw
mount for the K mount leaving my humble screw mount lenses and bellows and
other attachments useless with the new bodies.  I vowed that would never
happen again.  Olympus has been true to that, and I am thankful.

Now, I take great pleasure in picking out a few pieces and going out for a
few hours to shoot within the narrow range of the selected equipment, e.g. a
50mm macro and extension tubes only.  I suppose I'm quite a sight to the
neighbors on my knees and elbows with my fanny up in the air, taking a
protrait of a ground toad <G>.  They just don't understand... and never
will.  They are convinced their zoom P&S is all the camera one really needs.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> remarked:

......Olympus has not only protected my investments with