Re: [OM] Manual Camera Odyssey

Subject: Re: [OM] Manual Camera Odyssey
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 19:47:07 -0400

Ralph Nitschke wrote:

> Store 1:
> --------
>
> We asked to look at the OM-2000, which the sales person showed us
> - but he immediately recommended that we avoid the camera because
> of the difficulty in finding lenses, and that the lenses were of
> an antiquated and inferior design.  (He does have a new, boxed
> OM-3Ti for - gulp - $2500 CDN)

Interesting.... Don't the Z**i*o lenses fit all of the O*y**u*
bodies, the pen F not included for sure.

> He then brushed that aside, and focused on the camera he really
> wanted to sell to her - a C*n*n Rebel automatic everything.  He
> felt this would be the best choice because it was a modern and
> sophisticated camera that would allow her to switch from
> automatic to manual on demand.

I can see that, the *an** Rebel G does do manual and can be a good
P&S for fun photography.....

> Store 2: A camera store that carries a large and varied selection
> of used equipment.
> --------
>
> He felt the Olympus was a decent camera (showed her an OM-2S) but
> also stated that it was difficult to find lenses.  His
> recommendation was the C*n*n AE2 which he felt was an excellent
> choice and would allow for auto/manual exposure.  He also
> mentioned the P*nt*x K1000, but he didn't have one in stock.

Bothe the ***o* AE2 and the *****x are good bodies but it would seem
that the *10**would be the better choice since your friend specified
a manual camera.

> Store 3: Used equipment
> --------
>
> Strongest recommendation was for the P*nt*x K1000 which he had in
> stock and felt was a better choice than an Olympus.  (He does
> have a mint OM-4Ti black w/50mm 1.4 for $1199 CDN if anyone is
> interested.)

The P**t*x K***0 doesn't rely on the 1.35Mercury cell for metering,
if memory serves me correctly.  A point in its favor.

> ------------
>
> I was quite taken aback by that the lack of Olympus support in
> this city.  Is this typical?

Pretty much I think.  Since ***mp** went to take over the P&S market,
the selection of Z**i** lenses has dried up around Northern Ohio too.

> My friend is now quite drawn to the P*nt*x K1000, is this a good
> choice and do you reckon I should stop with the Olympus hard sell
> on her?

If she is happy with the *en**x and you convince her that she should
get an *l**p** and she does, and anything goes the least bit awry,
guess who's fault it will be.....

> Ralph

Bob

--