Re: [OM] OTF metering in the OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OTF metering in the OM-3Ti
From: David Irisarri Vila <valicors@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:24:14 +0200
William Sommerwerck wrote:

> "How can the OM-3Ti work with OTF in manual mode (mechanical
> shutter)?"
>
> Suppose, like the OM-2, it reads the light reflected from the
> shutter curtain? (Does it? I don't know for sure.)

Hi William,
I said, How could OM3Ti work, because OM4Ti can only use OTF
locking 1/60s in normal OTF (auto mode). If you change to manual
mode into the camera, for using slow shutter speeds, then won´t be
OTF light metering. This is why I said How could OM4Ti meter the
light (1/15s, manual mode) if F280 hasn´t any thyristor sensor.

> "How can my OM-3Ti meter the flash light coming from the F280 in
> manual mode, because there is no thyristor sensor?"
>
> The same sensor could read the light reflected from the film during
> the flash, and send the cutoff signal to the flash. (The thyristor
> is in the flash, not the camera.) This is no different from switching
> an automatic camera to manual and letting the flash unit calculate
> the exposure.

I know the tyristor isn´t into the camera, but if there is no OTF
light metering you can´t say that the light reflected by film plane
will advise the shutter control to cut off the flash emission.

One moment!!! You try to say that the shutter curtain pattern won´t
work but light being reflected by film plane will be metered? Maybe
this is why OM3Ti brochure says there is a high precision control in
slow shutter speeds, because shutter curtain pattern, will allow to
meter the light after the shutter release is pressed.

OM4Ti is supposed to be equal or even better system than OM3Ti. Why
OM3Ti catalog says that there is a high precison control even though
with slow shutter speeds. The OTF works from 1s to 1/2000s. What a
pretty system!!!

What´s the difference between TTL camera and OTF? How work a TTL
camera to meter the flash light?