Re: [OM] Misc ramblings in regard to 85 f2 focus

Subject: Re: [OM] Misc ramblings in regard to 85 f2 focus
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:38:59 -0700
At 10:42 PM -0800 9/23/98, Shawn Wright wrote:
>Now for some late night, darkroom fumes induced ramblings... ;-)
>

>I had some discouraging results with closeups taken with my 85/2 and 25mm
>tube
>- it was late so I only did one shot, but the sharpness was awful. It may
>have
>been camera shake (about 1-2 sec at f/16), so I will check some other
>shots of
>the same subject. I was surprised, because some colour 4x6 prints appeared
>very
>sharp with this combo.

Regarding miscellanious issues here is something I found out about my 85
f2. I took it to a Giants ball game where we had nose bleed seats -- one
row from the very top. I wanted to use my 85 instead of the 50 f1.8 because
I "see" more like  the 85. It was a bright, cloudless day and so very
constrasty which makes focusing easy. I noticed with one lens(the 300mm
f4.5) that infinity focus on the barrel is too far, i.e. out of focus. Now,
I have learned from this august mailing list that this is not uncommon with
long telephotos. But when I tried the 85 I was surprised!

I couldn't turn the focusing ring far enough to get sharp(in focus) focus
at infinity. I was using a screen with a split screen and could see that
the image was not comletely lined up. And the image was ever so slightly
fuzzy.

Yoew. I have rarely if ever used this lens at infinity so it has not been a
problem. Since it is one of my favorites, if not favorite, I will try to
get a camera shop to adjust the travel of the lens so that the focus ring
will travel a little farther out so I can get "exact" focus at infinity.
Note that the temperature was nominal, around 70 F.

Has anybody had similar problems and is there a way to do the adjustment
one self?

Andre
San Carlos, CA
USA