Re: [OM] OM4Ti concepts,

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti concepts,
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:55:09 +0200
David Irisarri Vila wrote:

> Then, How can OM3Ti system work with OTF in manual mode (mechanical
> shutter)???

First, we where talking about the OM-4Ti which is a different camera
than the OM-3Ti.

> How can my OM4Ti meter the flash light comming from the
> F280 in manual mode, bacause there is no thyristor sensor?

Normaly it shouldn´t be able to do this, that´s was the manual says and
experience with my camera has teached me.
How the F280 works in AUTO full sync mode is not completly researched by
this list, but we have an theory I´ll quote later.

> If you have to work with slow shutter speeds with OM3Ti(with flash),
> Olympus brochure says OTF metering will work, giving you a high
> precision metering.

Yes, the OM-3Ti is a much smarter camera for fill-in-flash.

> No, in Manual mode is no OTF flash metering
>
> But Exposure compensation can reduce F280 power? Because I´ve taken
> five photographs from one subject with a strong backlit; I used 0
> comp, -1, -2, +1, and +2, asd the results were very impressive. You
> can see how is reduced f280 emission in -1 and how overflashes in +1.
> (I took them in AUTO mode with normal OTF)

True, as you said, in AUTO mode the exposure comp ring will afect
exposure, my answer was a bit short.

> exp. comp dial has no connection to the flash.

This was to short, I have to add, that there is an indirect connection
via the exposure electronics inside the camera, which controls the flash
output in AUTO mode.

> Then why OM3Ti uses exposure compensation if there isn´t any
> aperture priority program???  I´ve readed into a spanish magazine
> that exposure compensation in OM3Ti is coupled with F280.

You can use exp. comp. on every OTF capable cameras, but this will afect
overall exposure not only the flash, like in the OM-3Ti, where exposure
time and aperture is set by the user (it´s a full mechanical camera).

> > 3. With daylight, using SuperFP mode in order to take portrait with
> > short focal lenght (50mm) with wide apertures is nearly impossible
> > to avoid overflashing with slides; would it be possible to use,
> > exposure compensation in order to reduce flash emission, like with
> > normal OTF in AUTO mode?
>
> like above no connection, choose a larger distance, stop down, don´t
> use the 50mm/1.2 but the 100mm/2.0 ;-)

Maybe your problem was, that the fill in efect of the flash  was not
strong enough, so you backlight has overpowered your exposure? In this
case an exp. comp. towards negative values might be helpfull.

> With the Metz a flash meter is not necessary, you can dial in every
> aperture
>
> Metz MZ-3 will work with f2 f4 and f8 apertures, but if you work with
> daylight is very difficult to know if you select some GN-value won´t
> overflash your picture. Do you think if I use this MZ-3 with OTF
> adapter will work properly with daylight???

Are you talking of the Metz 32 MZ-3? This flash has only 3 apertures to
choose in contrary to the Metz 40 MZ-3 (the flash I was thinking of)
which has 12 apertures to choose, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Richard

Now our preliminary results of our discusion how full sync flash works
in AUTO mode.
Any further information is appreciated. Is there someone from Olympus on
the list who could verify our theories or shed some more light on this
subject?