Re: [OM] OM items

Subject: Re: [OM] OM items
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:50:37 +0100
Mathew wrote

> Hi all,
> Well, despite the years of good service that I've enjoyed from my OM
gear, I've
> decided to make the move to large format photography (he says with fear
and
> loathing and trepidation). So, to finance this venture, I'm unloading all
of my
> stuff.....

Far be it for me to call you a traitor Mathew ( I use N*k*n, Hasselblad and
a Speed Graphic in addition to my beloved OMs), but I would definately
rethink selling your 35mm (OM or otherwise) gear to move up to LF.

If you are a serious shooter and get a great deal of enjoyment out  of
taking pictures, you might find that you will be stiffled by only having LF
gear. Its not exactly pocket sized equipment and its certainly not designed
for rattling through frame after frame. You can't use LF for casual snaps,
family shots nor can you project them. We had a son born last weekend. I
took a 4Ti, T32, 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/3.5 macro into the delivery room to
record the new arrival. Imagine doing that with a 5x4 view camera! If you
want to print from the negs you have to have a whole new darkroom set up
and if you use Velvia slides (which are absolutely spondiferous on 5x4) its
damned expensive. Here in the UK its about £3.50 every time you press the
shutter. Makes you think a bit.

I use my old 5x4 Speed Graphic with velvia for possible calander shots. It
gives great results and for the amount of use I give it its brilliant. I
swapped it for a Jobo Cibachrome drum (which I had to buy for the swap and
it cost me about £60 quid) so the speed graphic complete with 6 film
holders, standard lens and an Angulon 90mm wide angle cost me under $100
USD. Is it really worth selling your 35mm gear when you could do something
similar?

Before getting rid of your OM gear, I'd think hard about why you want LF
and then look at the used market for something cheapish. Take some good
snaps, sell them to calendar firms and use the profits to buy a new LF when
you're satisfied its what you want.

Just beg, steal or borrow the cash, prostitute yourself, go busking or
whatever but don't sell your 35mm gear just to get LF. You'll regret it.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

John.