[OM] 3rd-party lenses

Subject: [OM] 3rd-party lenses
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:30:04 -0700
"I've had a few 3rd party lenses which I've all swapped for Zuikos. I
don't think I will ever buy another 3rd party lens, in all my
comparisions they have had absolutely no chance against the Zuikos.
These lenses are one of the beautys of this camera system, in terms of
overall sharpness, colour rendition, bokeh, I just wanna say mmm..."

I would not overlook the Sigma 28-70/2.8 and 70-210/2.8 APO, both of
which are in the process of disappearing in OM mounts. (If you believe
the Pop Photo test report, the replacement for the latter is not as good
a lens.) They are _very_ good lenses. They make sharp, contrasty
pictures.

One of the theoretical advantages of a third-party lens is that the
company has a much larger customer base over which to amortize
development costs. Consequently, the lenses from Sigma and Tamron
(especially) _ought_ to be optically superior and cost less than those
from any camera manufacturer. Of course, this is rarely the case! (This
is also one of the reasons the new 35-80 Zuiko costs so much -- the
development costs are high relative to the customer base.)

By the way, one of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Olympus was that
I could afford the manufacturer's lenses. 900f my lenses are Zuikos.
(All my non-Zuikos are Sigmas -- the two mentioned above, plus the
14/3.5.)