Re: [OM] Lars' Sniper Style Support (was "hiking outfit")

Subject: Re: [OM] Lars' Sniper Style Support (was "hiking outfit")
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 20:50:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Jay Maynard wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 02:36:55PM -0500, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> > Which stance is more appropriate when shooting a camera
> > sniper-style?  Kneeling? Standing? Either?

    I don't think anyone likes lugging a tripod (least of all me),
but it's a necessary evil in order to get ultimate sharpness and
good DOF (as well as allowing one to ponder compositions) in the field.
There's a new series of well-made decent lightweight tripods coming out
these days (besides the carbon Gitzo), and I will probably be getting one.
I've wanted a Benbo for a long time, too.  Ever wonder how the 8x10
guys ever managed with all that stuff ?
  Even Galen Rowell, who we hopefully will all agree is a good hiker,
uses a tripod, and has described many times how he modifies a small Gitzo
(removes column, has extra hole drilled on platform) and adds a
lightweight ball head.

                                *= Doris Fang =*