[OM] Metering with lens reversed

Subject: [OM] Metering with lens reversed
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:49:49 -0400
"I've never tried reversing the lens, but since this topic was brought up,
I'd like to know how metering works when the lens is reversed."

I wondered that too, at one time.

With the lens reversed, the camera body no longer controls the aperture.
Your lens is wide open all the time unless you move the aperture coupling
lever on the lens mount (which is, now, exposed and pointing toward your
subject) to close it down.  With Nikon lenses it's the other way around -- a
Nikon lens stays closed down to the selected aperture when not on the
camera.

Anyhow, if the camera is not coupled to the aperture then the exposure meter
assumes that "what it sees is what you get" -- that is, the lens opening
when the picture is taken will be the same as when the metering is done.

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><