[OM] Bargain OM-2

Subject: [OM] Bargain OM-2
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:17:37 -0500
I snagged an OM-2 off of eBay. It was listed as needing repair, and boy was
that right... It looks like, as we Texans say, it was "rode hard and put
away wet". Ugly with a capital Ug. There's considerable brassing and dings
and peeling paint and shrinking leatherette all over it, the battery cover's
jammed, and the pentaprism needs replacing...

The good news: it's a black body - and a very, very early one (s/n 1119xx);
it came with a 35/2.8 Zuiko in good condition; it came with a Winder 1 in
not-so-good condition (some battery corrosion); and there was a Kalimar
polarizer on the lens (needs a good cleaning, but protected the lens quite
well from the multitude of fingerprints.

I plan to tackle the pentaprism and battery cover this weekend. The battery
cover should be simple - remove the bottom plate, then grab with a pair of
pliers and twist, gently - and the pentaprism should be within my
capabilities. I even have a few parts cameras to choose a good pentaprism
from. While I have the top cover off, I'm also planning to straighten the
top cover where the ASA knob was banged, pushing it down a bit.

A full weekend's work, maybe, but for $84, I'm not complaining, especially
since I can use it and put my sentimental OM-2 in the display case...