Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80/f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80/f2.8
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:35:42 -0800
On 14 Sep 98 at 11:00, gma wrote:

> David Irisarri Vila wrote:
> >
> > Hi Olympus fans,
> >     I suppose everyone would like to know, which is the sharpest Zuiko
> > ever developed by Olympus. This test shows Zuiko delightful glass and
> > how ED element increases resolution with wide apertures. I hope this
> > could help you with your lens test "Lee" :) Superb Olympus FAQ
> >
> > Zuiko ZOOM 35-80/f2.8 (FV Fotografía y Video nº88-1995)
> > Results in lines per mm:
>
> I just finally had a chance to look at these numbers in comparison with
> other numbers.  I now see how truly extraordinary this lens is.  Even
> better than primes!
>
> Thanks for the post.

Makes you wonder what they could do if they redesigned some of the 20+ year old
primes which are still considered fine performers by today's standards...
Obviously this lens must have required some big $$ to design, so why did they
stop at this?
Wouldn't a handful of new lenses which perform this well, combined with a new
OM-5/6 get some real attention? Or is everyone so sold on AF that such a move
is too little too late?

'tis a shame this lens will never be affordable for the average user, even
used.