Re: [OM] digital Olympus wish list

Subject: Re: [OM] digital Olympus wish list
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:03:44 -0700
Well, I won't claim to be "thoroughly familiar with the development of
CCDs", but I think I can make a reasonably defensible assertion.  There are
greater experts on the list.

The current state of CCD's for astro work are nowhere near 3Kx2K tricolor
resoultion and the price tage for the high res units are well over your
$3000 threshold.  I looked up SBIG's top end device, the ST-8.  It offers
1530 x 1020 full-frame resolution in B&W for a MSRP of $6,450.  I did learn
they offer an adapter, for an additional $110, that will attach Zuiko lenses
to the CCD camera body; but the viewfinder problem remains to be solved.  I
also think that with a few very low res exceptions, they all require a
computer for camera control, image acquisition and processing.  Not quite up
to "You press the button and we do the rest", but getting closer........

Were it not for my spouse using the digital so much for some of her
activities, I'd sell mine.  But she likes it, so it stays.  For *me*, for
*now*, imaging on silver based, chemically processed film, then scanning the
film and printing from a "digital darkroom" works for a lot of stuff.
Still, anything I think is special, that I want to present or display or
enlarge to greater than 8x10, I go in the dark and do it the old-fashioned
way.  Besides, there is a certain theraputic value to an afternoon in the
darkroom <G>.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.