Re: [OM] OM shutter speed selector

Subject: Re: [OM] OM shutter speed selector
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 08:25:01 -0500
At 05:06 AM 9/12/1998 -0600, you wrote:

>I got several emails suggesting that my preference for a shutter speed
>knob on top of a camera seemed dubious, and asking why that was so,
>so I thought I would clarify here, instead of answering each one
>separately.
>
>First, what I originally said was that I preferred a knob on top
>of the camera for cold weather usage when gloves or mittens are
>essential.  I generally have not been successful at operating
>an OM shutter speed ring around the lens mount with gloves or
>mittens on at all.
>
>A second thing I'll add is that the OM style shutter ring around
>the mount is really convenient for handheld shooting because you
>can hold the camera with 1 hand, and operate the shutter speed
>selector, aperture ring, and lens focus easily with the other hand
>without changing positions of that hand.

snip

>But there are conveniences and inconveniences in every 35mm system.

snip

>Joseph Albert

Joseph,

The location of the speed "dial" is mostly a matter of indifference to me.
Once in the ballpark on metering, I rarely change the shutter speed in the
midst of a shot. I think there is an advantage to having it off the top on
Olympus cameras because it allows the dial to be used for something else,
viz., the ASA/exposure compensation function. On the OM-2(x) models, this
is really convenient. On my FE2, it is cleverly designed (as you may
recall, since I think you said you've owned two at various times) but
nearly impossible to use quickly and easily.

As you say, each system has its inconveniences, but I generally fool less
with the shutter speed dial in the process of a shot (i.e., when bracketing
or other multiple exposures of the same composition), but I use that
exposure composition dial constantly on the OM-2(x)'s. I really appreciate
Oly's overall design on these cameras.

Joel