Re: [OM] Bags & Systems Was Digital vs Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Bags & Systems Was Digital vs Film
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:22:29 EDT
gma@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< Buddy;  Great use of Excel!  I've thought about 'specialized bags' too.
But I
 come back to thinking that if I go out with just a macro bag, that'll be the
time
 the alien spaceship hovers abouve the trees and I'm there with an 80/4 that
can't
 focus on it! Or something like that.

Snip!
Yep, I pondered over this very same concern.  Well, sorta, I was more
concerned on missing a shot of "BIG FOOT"!
But, then I realized I had the 135mm Macro and it would go to infinity.  So,
no big deal.

 You say above that you have a hard time just going out to photograph. It's
not
 clear to me why you do? Is it time itself, or does it have to do with the
bags?
 thanks, george >>

Well, time is always a problem.  But no, that is not what I was referring to.
I should have said to "JUST" photograph anything.  First, I should say, I have
spent a tremendous amount of time in the outdoors my whole life.  So, when I
go out now, there just is not a whole lot I have not seen before.  But when I
carry my camera gear with me to take photos, I still get a little overwhelmed.
The scenery, trees, streams, wildlife, etc., all catch my eye and I want to
stop everything and try and take that "perfect" shot.  So, I made up my list
of what I really was interested in, Close-ups, Wildlife, Scenery.  I soon
realized I could not do justice to them all at the same time.  This was
especially true for close-ups.  For example; If I am walking along a
flyfishing stream with the primary objective to shoot insects or their
habitat.  I am constantly redirected to a nice riffle, scene, deer, bird or
something.  Then I loose my "zone" of concentration on the little things in
nature.  And with close-ups, you will miss a whole lot of very interesting
subjects.
On the other hand, if I am out shooting wildlife shots.  I will just walk or
drive by some very interesting close-up shots.
If I want to shift gears, and do some close-ups.  I just grab the close-up bag
and tripod and start walking and looking.  It takes a few minutes to direct my
concentration, but at least I am not distracted by the other photographic
opportunities that are there.  Plus, all my close-up gear is in one bag and
ready to shoot.
I am sure this method is not for everyone, but it has helped me.
BW