Re: [OM] Who "should" own an OM camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Who "should" own an OM camera?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:24:20 EDT
Hi William:

> When the OM system was introduced, it was pretty much a mid- to high-end
>  system. The lenses were hardly inexpensive (I think Minolta, Pentax, and
>  Canon lenses cost less).

The system prices (adjusted for inflation) declined steadily for the first
dozen or so years the OM System was available.  During that time, competition
increased for cameras with a "petite and lightweight" system philosophy.
While initially premium priced, OM was very price competitive to the
competition.  I recall doing a price analysis in 1976 and determining the OM
System would save me money over the same components in the Canon A/FD series.
Perhaps others did the same at later dates?

IMHO [in my humble opinion], the OM System was, by market forces,
professionally a niche system.  It best served photographers requiring what it
had best: a combination of OTF exposures (esp. for flash), stellar macro
performance and comprehensive accessories, low system weight and size, mirror
lockup (in the OM-1), and a broad premium to fine system of lenses.  The
niche?  Astrophotographers, Biologists (esp. as field cameras), Dentists and
Physicians (read: ring flash), Photomicrographers.  I'm sure others could list
more professions.  But it wasn't the professionals who drove the production -
it was the typical consumer.  As a trend setting design, general public demand
resulted in economy of scale production, which allowed it to be a best buy
among professional level manual focus systems.  Fickle general use consumers
moved on to the latest wiz-bang cameras (read: auto-focus) that marketing told
them they needed.  That left a very loyal core of niche users - the ones who
found the OM System to best meet their specialized needs, who invested heavily
into it, and continue to enjoy the fruits of their wise choice.  I suspect
that as an aging group, light weight becomes more and more a feature that is
much appreciated!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV