Re: [OM] Digital storage (was Digital vs. film)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital storage (was Digital vs. film)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:05:12 -0700
Dan, you are absolutely correct in the points you raise.  Moreover, even if
one is dilligent in making exact duplicates of the data from one storage
medium to the next storage medium, and the requisite device driver(s) to
attach it to the next generation of computer and so on, a very large
problems remains - the application software to actually DO something with
the data (image), like maybe display it.

Case in point - my company is required by law to retain, at the transaction
level of detail, a machine readable form of our sales, payments, and other
financial records.  We have these records on mag tape, a widely accepted
industry norm.  Even satisfies the external auditors and the IRS <g>.  We
have tape readers that operate on our equipment.  No problems yet....   But!
There are no applications that run on the current datacenter that will read
the old data file formats.  The old datacenter equipment is long gone.  It
is a technical impossibility to make the old applications run on the new
hardware.  To actually USE those old files we'd first have to develop a file
format conversion program, make the old data fit into the new format, then
use it.  Certainly doable when you have a staff of software development
professionals at your disposal, but not so simple for the average user.  But
now, I no longer have an EXACT duplicate.  And that path is full of hidden
dangers that can (and sometimes does) change the meaning of a chunk of data.

No, the great danger of digital imaging, one I do worry about, is the loss
of the data as the technology rapidly evolves.  I don't recall who said it,
but they are right - we are at risk of losing a whole big chunk of history.

There's a reason my silver-based imaging system and chemical processing
center (aka OM's and darkroom) are not posted on eBay quite yet <g>.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> so wisely pointed out:

>I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again.  The problem
>with the fast changing technology is not the fact that it is not
>big/fast/cheap/accurate/durable, but the problem is in the fast
>obsolescence of the digital storage technology itself.