[OM] digital vs film/valve vs transistor

Subject: [OM] digital vs film/valve vs transistor
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:19:12 +0000
Windor wrote, regarding tube amps:

>The big use of tubes is in power amplification which no one has ever
>demonstrated with any kind science or engineering to have signficant
>advantages over modern solid state designs. In fact just the opposite.
>There have been demonstrations of introducing non linear frequency response
>into solid state designs which will enable them to sound like tube
>amplifiers. Thus distorted the solid state amp will have a null output with
>the tube amp in a phase shifted sum and difference demonstration.

>you will have been listening to music
>for maybe six months with a higher amplifier distortion level than would
>ever be emitted from the cheapest Japanese mass market solid state stereo
>receiver.

I have no experience of valves in hifi or power amps; a couple of
manufacturers I have spoken to claim that using valves in hifi is selling a
sonic feature that they find to provide no real improvement - different, but
not better.  The point to sound quality is not strictly about distortion
figures - this fallacy is something some manufacturers and CD marketeers
(charlatans, the lot of 'em) have been flogging for years.

However, the qualities a musician picks in an instrument amplifier is the
WAY it distorts and clips the signal.  Guitarists know that even a good
transistor amp can never, ever simulate that feature.  So, technically, it
is imperfect, but the imperfection is what makes it desirable.  I have
played through any number of guitar amps, and the only ones worth paying
good money for use valves.

>Actually to say that an OM1 or OM4T is technically inferior is, I think, to
>confuse 'featuritis' with image making.

Friends who own autofocus auto-gizmo cameras find that the box of tricks
leads them too often to just "point and shoot" - No Brain Required.  I am
trying to help them understand that the decisions made by the operator is
the key.  Of course, I can't say that my OM1 will be better than an F5 in
certain conditions (eg auto fill-in flash on the hoof, sport & wildlife),
but for the uses I put it to, it does the job just as well.  I like having
to make the decisions.

Simon E.