Re[2]: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: JIM_TEO@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:29:51 +0800
     It is always a debate for this subject and where is photography
     heading to?

     Traditionally a "good picture" we talk about composition and exposure
     but now with digital technology things has changed.

     Now forget about exposure and compositions, images is stored digitally
     and the final image is "created" through the manupulations of PC. We
     should define this new generation as "image creator" and Not
     photographer at all.

     Currently the output for digital image on print is still cosidered
     costly compared to those printed from film. Using thermal-dye sub
     printer is excellent choice but it cannot control certain color tones
     properly at times eg. tungsten /candle light sometimes giving funny
     unusaul shades of tones. Compared side by side with a conventional
     print at the first glance the digital print looks eye-catching but
     closer into the details it cannot be as good as the conventional print
     from film.

     For long term storage, film will have problems like color shift in a
     couple of years. But for digital storage, will there be a possibility
     that your file might get corrupted one fine day???

     jim