Re: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:43:20 -0700
>> http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><
>
>We will never know the limits of digital technology, in the pass 20
>years the films only improved very little (has the resolution improved
>by two or three times?). But how about the computer and storage device?
>
>C.H.Ling

Might that be because film makers only had themselves to compete against
and because better film pretty well exceeds the quality of the lenses
projecting an image on it? (actually the improvements in fast color film in
the last 30 years has been stunning, maybe even grain size reductions in
the order or 2 or 3 times if I am not mistaken.)Perhaps digital image
capture will improve at a faster rate, but it may be than the competition
of digital imaging will spur improvements in film technology. And who knows
perhaps that will even spur improvements in optics design and manufacturing.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx