Re: [OM] Polaroid NPC backs (was: Olympus Speed-Magny)

Subject: Re: [OM] Polaroid NPC backs (was: Olympus Speed-Magny)
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:31:04 -0500
>Really the only thing it is good for is checking the modeling and
>lighting of a picture. I use my viewfinder for the first thing, and my
>experience for the second. I compensate for lack of the latter by
>simply taking more exposures with different
>lighting/aperture/exp.time.

Right on!  How many times will we use technology as a crutch for poor
technique.  There are time that we must verify our setup with
poloriods/digital/test roll/etc., but I watch too many pros who do this as a
matter of course without thinking.  They just slap the lights around do a
few test exposures and then say "I guess I should put a little fill light
over there..." (said in David Letterman's 'Bubba' voice)   instead of taking
care of that ahead of time.

A technique I use to determine whether my lighting is adequate (proper
fills, contrasts under control, etc) is to press the DOF preview button with
the lens stopped down a few stops.  Anything that does not have enough fill
light will blackout and you can also spot any glaring hot spots this way
too.

Again, the question is asked:  Are you a techno-geek or a techniquo-geek?

Ken N.