[OM] back Home, after our American trip

Subject: [OM] back Home, after our American trip
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 18:27:07 +0200
Hi, all
our American trip is already "far" beyond us now but the Jet Lag and an
immediate immersion in my job (that's the right word... as I was outside for
the Belgian Formula One GP and it was a very "Wet" one..!) have taken a lot
of my time.
I still have a lot of OM Digest to read from those traveling weeks and I've
heard about The Gary(s) comments to the list, about our encounter...
So I'll try to give you some of my impressions during this trip.
Sorry in advance if there is only a few OM content !
First of all some of the highlights of the trips were the "meeting moments"
with Gary Reese in Las Vegas and with Gary Schloss in Los Angeles, it was
nice to spend some times with them. Unfortunately I hadn't the opportunity
to meet George Anderson who gave me some good advises about Antelope Canyon
and the Indians ;
finally I could only have a Phone conversation with Thomas Curlee who made a
lot
of research for me a special thanks to him and also for the others who gave
me a large amount of precious information. Sorry in advance if my mail is
not very "academic but as you know English (UK or American) is not my usual
language so...
I've drive a lot of miles and the first major difference with our cars is
the automatic gearboxes and the price of gasoline...We have made a lot of
camping and I understand better why Ken Norton is so fan of those nice
moments in the nature.
National Parks are really nice places and it's pleasant to see how people
respect the nature. There was a lot of people in the most renowned places,
for example in the south rim of the Grand Canyon it was very difficult to
park the car so our visit was very short...the north rim was less crowded
and in my opinion more interesting.
Bryce Canyon looks like an enormous "sand castle" and Zion Canyon is rather
different. Death Valley was "special" but less desert than a lot of places
in Africa, the sand dunes for example looks small... Yosemite and Sequoia
parks are also beautiful places and it's rather impressing to be "in front"
of the General Sherman Tree...a living thing of more than 2 thousand years
and so huge..!
One very surprising impression was the "clouds" in San Francisco a really
interesting town and a place where I'll probably come back some day...
Sorry for Gary Schloss but we have preferred San Francisco in comparison of
Los Angeles... and specially Berkeley: the last view we had of the Bay was
from Grizzly Peak on the heights of Berkeley with a lighting so contrasted
that nor Velvia nor Reala cannot render the view we had, one of those rare
moments where even the OM4 Ti cannot do justice to the light...
On a photographic point of view I've of course made a lot of pictures and
I'll of course scan some ones for the Gallery...
There are a lot of other things to say but I wouldn't take too much place
here...
Just a last thing, one bad point it looks like there is no special
"collecting containers" for the used batteries...I had a lot of AA ones and
at the San Francisco Airport the only solution I had was to throw them in an
ordinary trash can...
Nice holidays, great discoveries and  enjoying moments...I hope I could have
the pleasure to welcome some "overseas" members of the list in Belgium...
regards
marc