Re: [OM] OM-10 operation

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 operation
From: "Janis Wright" <jwright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 21:03:24 -0700
On 2 Sep 98, at 9:02, Stuart Goggin wrote:

> I now have five of these,  so here are some answers:
>
> >It will completely fire without a battery. It is the only one I
> >have ever seen do this. Were some made this way?
>
> All of mine fire like this without batteries,    I suspect that there will
> be no exposure though.   I am pretty sure that the second curtain release is
> controlled by an electromagnet.    With batteries the camera varies its
> exposure by delaying the curtain using power applied to the electro magnet.
>  Without power the curtain should release at the same time as the first
> curtain, thereby ensuring no exposure.

Strange, mine does not fire without batteries. The mirror locks up
and will stay that way, regardless of setting (manual/auto/B) until a
battery is installed, at which point the shutter fires and mirror
returns. This has only happened once in action when the battery
died, but I just confirmed it again by removing the battery. Mine
was new in '85 and is SN 24969xx.

> As an Aside,   I think it might be possible to test for oil on the magnet by
> doing this,  if there is ANY exposure then there is oil.   I'll have to try
> this out..

My last roll confirms that OOTM is evident, but only seems serious
beyond 1/250s or so. I took 3 rolls of FP4+, and only a few scenics
taken at 1/500 were overexposed. I guess the error introduced by
the sticky magnet is not significant below 1/250. Although this
problem and the awful sounding mirror slap are annoying, I am
quite pleased with the number of decent shots from this past
weekend. (I had Reala in my 4T, and was in a B/W "mode", so I
used the OM-10). Kinda fun actually - I was with a friend and his
hulk of a Nikon (F90X), shooting in a huge abandoned lodge near
Sooke, BC. (we're talking stone fireplaces 30 feet across, which
you can *walk* through without bending over...) Anyway, he was
quite surprised I could focus and even shoot handheld (I forgot my
tripod foot) in the dim inside lighting with my 50/1.8. His 28-70 f/5-
ish zoom was next to useless, as was the AF...

> The meter is re-switched on after it has  timed out  by the metal collar
> surrounding the shutter release button.    As I remember this button is
> connected to a membrane switch, apparently these switches can break or
> become disconnected.    So I would say that you may need to do some surgery
> on it.   Definitely not worth bothering to get serviced as these bodies are
> so cheap to buy at the moment.

Hmmm... mine used to have a membrane feel when new, but now
has no spring left at all. It still works, but I guess it's just a matter
of time before it goes.

I may try to sell my OM-10 at the local shop - they say they can
get $175 CDN with a 50/1.8 and manual adapter. (I get 750f this).
I've got my eye on a nice OM-1 for $250...