Re: [OM] OLYMPUS 600mm

Subject: Re: [OM] OLYMPUS 600mm
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:35:44 EDT
Hi Jean-Pierre,
I do not own the OLY 600mm and cannot comment on the quality.
B&H in New York sells new ones for $2,200 US.  They are listed for sell used
from a high of $1,600 to as low as $1,000.  I might add, that I consider both
the 400 & the 600 to be very hard to locate on the used market.
Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
BW

henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< Zuiko 600mm : has anybody on the list an  opinion
 on the quality of that lens; it is not a very fast lens
 F 1:6.5 and I do not think it has ED glasses.
 Here in France the 400 mm Zuiko is not very well regarded,
 and I would think that the 600mm is rather in that category
 and not of the same quality as the 250 mm.
 I know of somebody who is trying to sell one.
 I understand he was a pro photographer, used it for
 many years (with 400 ASA), found it very reliable,
 sold some shots he did with it;
 and he is changing subjects (and using now C*N*N EOS).
 I could not tell him what would be a fair price.
 I should think it is rather a collector's item...
 In France Olympus has a public price of US 7000 for that lens
 which is ridiculous (I think it is half that in New York).
 So it is impossible to conclude what would be a fair price
 for a used one from the public price.
 So again, a question : what is a fair price for
 that used 600 mm ?

 Jean-Pierre Henry, Paris neigbourhood, France >>