Re: [OM] Digital pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital pictures
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:44:55 -0500
At 06:20 PM 8/27/1998 -0700, George you wrote:
>Joel;
>
>Yes, Photoshop is a wonder. I dabble in it myself.  Someday it may replace
>darkroom work for me, but that time isn't here yet.  Glossy Cibas are
still like
>no other (in a near price-range.)  And I do use unsharp masks in the
darkroom to
>'tweak the curves'.  I sometimes even bias the mask toward a certain
color.  The
>main advantage of Photoshop:  you don't have to fight dust or Newton rings.
>
>george

Hi George,

Do dabble on. I've been dabbling for a year now, and each month I can't
stand most of what I did the month before, but that's good; I'm improving.

BTW the unsharp mask, despite the misleading name, is a reference to a
sharpening facility in the PS software, rather than a masking technique
used to reduce contrast or alter color balance (or both). If you have the
skill and patience to do the other kind of masking routinely, you're a
better man that I.  I did it once and that was it.

If possible try the Konica QP photoquality inkjet paper. Glossy inkjet
papers look more like matte photo papers, but the Konica QP might turn your
head.

I find it one of the ironies of my life that I prefer mechanical cameras
and digital output.

Joel