Re: [OM] flash question.

Subject: Re: [OM] flash question.
From: Daniel Nordling <dano@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:31:44 +0200
Thanks for your response Hans.

With the information from you i dared to go back to the shop and buythe flash
(with
money back guarantee).

> An AF flash is a flash that has an AF assistence light, like the
> Olympus F280 flash has. If the pin-out of this flash equals that of the
> OM-4Ti and OM-707 (5 pins), this AF light probably works with the
> OM-707. If it equals that of the OM-4 (3 pins) the AF capabilities of
> this flash are even more obsolete than those of the F280 (since it
> doesn't work with any Olympus camera).

It has the the 3 pin configuration of the plain OM-4. So i guess the only
AF about this flash is the AF assistance light you mentioned.

> Hence the 1/3 price reduction?

The price reduction was probably more due to slow moving stock, the flashhad
been on
the shelf for a long time.

> How come a brand new flash having no instructions anyway?

It sounds strange, but the guy in the shop opened another box (with thesame
model but
for N***n) and it contained no instructions either. They
will try to get a new instruction for me from the distributor.

> To check if this flash has TTL capabilities, try it out on your OM-4.
> Camera in Auto mode, film loaded (w/o film TTL flash doesn't work). If
> this flash is compatible with the T flashes, as the pin-out suggests,
> you should see a flash ready light in the viewfinder, the 1/60 shutter
> speed should be marked, the flash should not fire when available light
> indicates a faster speed than 1/60, you should see a flash OK light
> after the flash fires, even if you hold your hands in front of the
> built-in flash sensor (provided this flash also has computer flash
> capabilities).

I tried your suggestions, and it seems to work ok (i havent developed anyfilm
yet).
But it was quite easy to get the "over exposure" message in the
view finder, is this normal? Should not the camera cut off the flash
emmission when the correct amount of light has been received?

Another question. When i tried the flash auto modes, the "under exposure"
message was allways displayed in the view finder. Even when the flash
signaled "auto OK". Is this the correct behaviour?

Finaly, is there a way of using a flash for fill-in purposes with a plain OM-4?

Regards,

Daniel Nordling

PS. Would it not be nice to have a FAQ on using flash with an OM cameras.