[OM] OM Film Advance Gear Modification

Subject: [OM] OM Film Advance Gear Modification
From: Dsamsara@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:20:20 EDT
        I own several OM bodies -- OM-4T Black, OM-4T champagne, OM-4, OM-1N
and an
old OM-1 and have always noticed that the film advance lever of the old OM-1
is much smoother than any of the other bodies, even though the "throw" is a
bit longer.  Being somewhat of a paintball fanatic -- a sport where many
players regularly fine-tune their paintball guns by polishing trigger sears,
etc. to achieve a smoother, lighter trigger pull, I started to wonder whether
it would be possible to polish the film advance gears of OM bodies to achieve
a smoother advance.  While this obviously would have no effect on the quality
of one's photographs, the truth is that many of us on this list use OM bodies
not only for their excellent photo taking capabilities, but for their
wonderful aesthetics, such as bright viewfinders, smooth handling and
excellent shutter release "feel."  A smoother, lighter film advance would only
amplify this experience.  Does anyone (John H.???) perform such modifications?
How much would it cost?  Could this also marginally improve motor drive
performance?