Re: [OM] High Speeds and OM Sale

Subject: Re: [OM] High Speeds and OM Sale
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:16:46 +0100
On the subject of needing to 1/4000 to freeze aircraft movement at shows,
why not change your technique and use slower speeds deliberately to blur
the movement?

I have been to a few air shows (as a military pilot, it's difficult avoid
them sometimes!), but I never had the long lens to fill the frame.  Then I
went to Old Warden in Bedfordshire in UK, where the Shuttleworth Collection
of ancient aircraft is kept, and I thoroughly enjoyed the day of capturing
the lovely lines of the machines from the Bristol Boxkite to the Spitfire
and Hurricane.  Maybe I'm too easy to please when the results come back and
I don't notice the camera shake etc...

Note that it would be unusual for any displaying aircraft, jet or prop, to
exceed 300-350 knots except for during specifically high speed passes.
Remember that their aim is to remain in your view for as long as possible
and too many whizzes past makes for a difficult to follow display. High
performance aircraft can turn their smallest radius circles at about that
speed.  High g (5+g) manoeuvres are impressive only for the pilot and the
few in the audience who have experienced them. Rolling turns are so
difficult to perform accurately (personal opinion) that I wonder why a jet
display might include them. The aircraft which can provide the visible
vortices off the wing tips (or wing roots in the case of something like the
F-16 or MiG-29) are possible with high angles of attack, not necessarily
high g, since they result from the sudden drop in pressure over the
aerofoil.

Chris