Re: [OM] New member + For Sale big list

Subject: Re: [OM] New member + For Sale big list
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:40:28 -0700
On 23 Aug 98, at 14:45, Terry and Tracey wrote:

> >Too bad you're in Plano and not Plains Texas.  I'll be going through Plains
> >next month and, after shooting Bryce/Zion/and the the North side of Grand
> >Canyon with only Olympus equip, I'm going to sell it all.  The need for
> >1/4000 sec. shutter speed and high speed flash sync is forcing a change.
> >Some of what will be with me follows:
>

> Why do you need 1/4000 shutter speed? Sorry to pry, but I've never
> understood the need for it. I understand it exists as a by product of the
> higher sync speed.

I was about to ask the same thing - the only time I've even
approached the 1/2000 speed on my 4T was with 1600 ISO loaded
in bright sun, but this rarely happens, and never posed a problem.
It's my understanding that these higher speeds also pose a much
higher risk of shutter speed error. Nearly every shutter test I've
seen has shown the largest errors (in EVs or percentage) at the
high end, and I imagine this will only get worse as the camera ages.
I could see 1/250 sec normal TTL flash sync being an advantage,
but not enough to make me switch. 1/125 flash sync is not enough
of a gain in most cases. ie: recent wedding shots I took - some
were at f/8 & 1/250, while others were at f/16 & 1/60 with fill flash -
the latter were much nicer shots, except for too much DOF, and
having to work within flash range at this aperture. 1/250 flash fill
would have made a difference here.

Of course, ymmv.

Good luck on your final OM adventure, sorry to see you go...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)