Re: [OM] OM4 & Flash TTL

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 & Flash TTL
From: Ralph Nitschke <Ralph_Nitschke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 19:41:54 -0700
Chmielewski, Artur wrote:

> Hi again (after vacation)!
> I would like to buy a flash unit for my OM4. I'm thinking about Metz 40
> MZ-2. It has OM adapter foot and works in TTL mode (according to sellers
> words). Does anybody has this flash? Any (critical) opinions? How good
> is that TTL mode? Eg. does it work with exposure compensation (+-ISO)?
> Sorry if these questions were answered many times - my Internet access
> is very slow and I can't browse list archives.
> Best regards and thanx in advance
> Artur

Greetings Artur,

Here are two messages I came across that discuss the Metz 40 MZ-2.  Let me
know if you decide to go for the flash - as I also have an OM-4Ti and have
seriously being considering the Metz.

Ralph

     Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 16:51:08 +0000
     From: wijsmuller@xxxxxx
     Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Flash

Happy new year to all of you!

Richard Schätzl wrote:

> You should try the new Metz 50 MZ-5 and 40 MZ-2 flashes.
>
> They are able to -- wireless TTL flash -- with every camera!!!!
>
> That means TTL multi flash photography with out anoying wires, with as
> many flashes you can afford ;-). You need just an SCA 300 adapter for
> your camera.

My wife and I own a 40 MZ-2 (she for her Canon eos), and if I
remember the documentation correctly you only get wireless TTL flash
with *two* 40 MZ-2's (unless you have a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum) *and*
an additional (expensive?) device on the remote flash. So we're
talking about lots of second-hand T32's here, and some cash left for
Olympus TTL cables. BTW Metz has its own wire-system for remote
use, but $$$.

So I bought a T32, some TTL cables and a T20 Auto Connector, to use
the Metz and the T32 together. I've done no extensive testing so
far, but it sure works.

> The flashs will do aditionaly all the things the SB25 is capable,
zoom,
> bounce, strobo, rear sync, etc.

AFAIK an important thing what these flashes *don't* do is supporting
the high-speed sync capability as available on the more expensive
Minolta, Nikon and Canon (Elan II(e)) camera's. But next generation
Metz flashes probably will (unless Metz plans to quit the market), so
that could mean that these Metz flashes are F280 compatible (I don't
know if they use technically the same system for long duration flash,
but maybe they'll find a way). The downside is that the expected
sales probably do not make it profitable enough for Metz to
introduce a F280 adaptor...;-(

Frank Wijsmuller.