[OM] Not Good Zuikos

Subject: [OM] Not Good Zuikos
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 23:11:36 -0700
george wrote:
>> Known NOT GOOD: 50/1.2, 50/1.4

George, I'm curious if you remember if the 50/1.4 was MC or SC? I have this
lens in MC and have found it to be sharp even wide open. In fact I often
shoot with it that way in low light. One of the reasons to own a fast lens.
The OM System Lens Handbook says the following about the 50/1.4 MC. "It has
an almost extravagant lens construction of 7-elements in 6-groups. Designed
to correct various kinds of aberrations, it's resolution and image contrast
are high, with superbly sharp images even at wide open aperture." Note that
they do not make this same statement about either the 50/1.8 MC or 50/1.2
MC. I'm just wondering if the sample you checked was SC, and if so did that
make a difference? Or did I just get lucky with my particular lens?

Regards,
John Austin