[OM] Flipping my 50mm around

Subject: [OM] Flipping my 50mm around
From: "Red Rover" <red_rover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:42:16 -0700
    Before diving into the expense of macro lenses, extension tubes and
such, I decided to experiment with closeups by flipping my 50 1.8 around. I
set my OM2s to auto, set my lens to whatever apeture I want, and hold the
DOF preview button on the lens down while taking the shot. My question is
this, since the mechanism which detects apeture setting is obviously no
connected during this procedure, will the camera OTF metering still handle
the shot? Do I need to check the shot with the lens on right, then set the
shutter speed to manual before flipping the lens? Thanks.