Re: [OM] Olympus Auto-Exposure VS. Other brands

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Auto-Exposure VS. Other brands
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Aug 98 16:08:34 +1000
Cc: sgoggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- Begin Message ---
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: 29 Jul 98 22:13:58
In a message dated 7/29/98 3:42:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mike_tan@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< 1. How is Olympus SLR AE different when compared to say Nikon or Canon
 AE?  Don't the others measure exposure off the film then control shutter
 speed?>>

No, only Olympus and Pentax (with the LX, not sure about other models) use
OTF
metering for normal, non-flash, auto exposure

 <<2. If it's off the film, why is the shutter curtain painted with a
 black/white pattern?  Does an Oly measure off the curtain(after mirror
 flip but before shutter opens) or off the film(during exposure)?>>

Since the exposure time will frequently be determined before the 1st curtain
fully opens, the curtain has a pattern which approximates the reflectivity of
film. As the exposure time increases, more and more of the reading will be
made off the film. Short exposures are measured mostly off of the curtain.
All
exposures faster than X-synch (1/60) will be made at least partly off of the
curtain.

 <>

Most modern SLRs now do flash exposure measurement off the film. Usually this
is for flash only, though.

 <<3.) The shooting action noise caused by the shutter and mirror flip of
 my OM20 is much louder than that of an OM2n(my Dad's).  Is this normal?
 I find the OM2 to be very quiet in shooting. >>

Simply put, the OM-2n is a more expensive, better made camera, oriented more
to the professional market (as were/are all of the single-digit OMs). It
should be quieter! I'm not sure what you mean by "much louder". I've never
heard an OM-20 myself, but if it sounds REALLY bad you may want to have it
checked out.

--- End Message ---