[OM] Small tip - Restoration of rear lens caps

Subject: [OM] Small tip - Restoration of rear lens caps
From: vonstahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 18:28:33 +0100
After using rear lens caps for some time they tend to not be able to attach
firmly to the lens any more, which is due to that the three plastic pieces
located inside the cap and which go along the edge of the cap, have been
worn down.

An easy way to fix this is to use a pair of pliers to press these three
pieces of plastic somewhat flatter and due to that they also will get wider
and thus will be able to hold the cap firmly onto the lens again. The right
point to apply pressure at is where these three pieces of plastic do a sharp
90 degree bend to the covered side of the cap.

I use a pair of pliers which are about 3 mm (1/8") wide at the top and put
something soft (a piece of hard erasing rubber or similar) between the outer
edge of the cap and the tool to avoid marks on the outer surface of the cap.

By using the methode described above I assume (although I have not tested it
yet), that it would be possible to apply pressure onto these three pieces of
plastic not in the proximity of the 90 degree bend but slightly before, thus
making the cap to "snap" when it has been turned to the position which will
fasten it fully to the lens.

Boris von Stahl
Stockholm, Sweden