Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)

Subject: Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 08:39:17 +0000
Why, crime, the risk of damage?

I have no problem with using expensive gear.  I don't want to get
metaphysical but I believe I have one chance only to take the photos
I will take and I want to use the best I can afford, irrespective of
whether my abillities warrant its use.

For each of the focal lengths, the fastest lens is the best in terms
of flexibility of use and outright performance.  You get what you pay
for.

Gary, "it is only money" - seriously!  My brother used to say that
and so taught me a real lesson.  I used to think him a spendthrift
and generous with his resources to a fault, then he died at 34.

He was absolutely right, it is only money.  If someone steals your
gear or it falls off a cliff - ciao!

I once did something insane - I bought a used 180mm f2 when I
happened on one at a bargain price, though still expensive.  I have
never regreted that decision one iota.  I could not duplicate the
quality of the images it delivers with any other lens I have.

Photos for me are a  record of ones life as much as, hopefully, art.
In general you don't get a second chance so it doesn't hurt to use
the best you can afford.

My mother once said that "you regret more the things you didn't do
in life, rather than those you did."

I have found that to be true.

Giles