Re: [OM] Q on MC Filters and Flare

Subject: Re: [OM] Q on MC Filters and Flare
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 13:30:18 -0500
At 05:54 PM 7/25/1998 +0000, Lars you answered very clearly Joel's query:

>It would seem to be as follows: any refracting optical element (lens,
>filter etc)
>does exhibit some flare. Each lens element and filter and whatnot contributes
>its little bit, and then there are interactions which worsen the outcome. Now
>an objective lens -- uncoated, single-coated or multicoated -- has its own
>amount
>of flare. This amount is at a minimum when nothing is added in front of it
(or,
>God forbid, behind it). An uncoated filter adds quite a bit of flare to
>this minimum.
>A single-coated filter adds considerably less, and a multicoated one even
>less. But
>in all these cases, it is a matter of more or less addition to the minimum
>of the
>bare lens. I cannot imagine a situation where any kind of accessory filter
>would
>actually decrease this minimum. That would be magic.

Lars,

Thanks for responding. This makes perfect sense to me, but it is the
opposite to what I had inferred from Lee's comment that the MC filter would
make the flare worse (for which I'll blame myself, not Lee). If you are
right, it seems that everyone would be better off using MC filters (in
situations where they need one, that is), whether their lenses are SC or
MC.  The filter would add less of its own flare to the combination of lens
+ filter.  Do you agree?

Joel