Re: [OM] Medium and large format resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium and large format resolution
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:15:25 -0700
I don't know the physics of this, but I can speak from 'experience'.  And it is
my experience that Winsor is right in his suspicions.  I own (of course) a ton
of Oly gear and I also own a Mamiya 645 with 2 lenses and a 4x5 camera with 5
N*kk*r lenses. I have also used (and sold) a Mamiya TLR 6x6 camera.

It is my experience that the great Zuiko lenses (here I'd include the 50/1.2,
90/2, maybe others) that I own are much sharper, pixel-for-pixel than the med
and large format lenses. I can look at the same scene on the light table thru a
loupe in the 3 formats (on Velvia, say) and see that the Zuikos can seemingly
'resolve' details to a finer level. I mean that the details are 'there' in all
3 formats to a similar degree relative to image size.  It is, of course, that
image size factor which then gives the 4x5 transparancy a BIG advantage when
printed to 16x20.

Finally, let me add that I'd say that, in the above comparison, relatively
speaking, if I can compare apples to oranges here, the Zuikos are much better
than the M645 lenses, somewhat better than the N*kk*rs.  And the Mamiya TLR
lenses, in my experience, were not as good as the 645s.

george