Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1 + ref to Viv. 70-210 Ser. 1

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1 + ref to Viv. 70-210 Ser. 1
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:30:43 -0400
Hi Arnie,

Let me add "nice lens" to all the 60-300 SP comments you've received so
far.  Out of a dozen zooms for OM and N*k*n, the Tamron 60-300mm SP and the
Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4 Series 1 are this family's choices.  For ref, both
of these are sharper and more pleasent than the N*kk*r 70-210mm and
35-80mm.  The 'zoo lens' comment is dead on.  You'll be able to shoot
Marmoset faces right against a glass cage as well as snake faces.  This
lens will allow focusing down to 3/4 inch from the front element if you
need it.  With the proper Adaptall mount it will go on any body you borrow
if your into a mixed environment like the 7 of us in this family.

It's heavy, but you won't have to carry 3 macro extention tubes or spend
the time putting them on/off.  A decent trade off.  Do consider the
matching Tamron 2x SP teleconverter.....on the used market for typically
$50-69 with case/caps.  We use it often for easier macro shooting as well
as those bean-bagged long shots at 600mm.  (Sharpness and flare
characteristics are better than the Vivitar 100-400mm Series 1, although
not relavent to your situation)

If you like the 60-300 SP, look at the older Tamron 28-135mm f4-4.5 SP
Macro.  These two lens are the mainstay of my personal 2-lens walk-around
set up when not using the 19-35mm Series 1.  Good low cost considerations
if the OM primes are not feasible.

Enjoy,
Jim and the crew in Delaware