Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:52:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Markowitz, Arnie  (Miami) wrote:

>  Or does shutter priority on the zoom mean it won't work
> with the OM-1? Another question: Would a shorter Olympus or other zoom,
> combined with a tele converter, produce equal or better results?  I need
> a 300mm focal length for wildlife pix in Yukon/BC/Alaska. Weight and
> bulk are important considerations.

  You will use the lens just as you use your 50mm, on manual with your
OM-1. There are no tiny, lightweight, usable long lenses. I would advise
you to invest in a 400/5.6 SD and a 60-200/4 Zuiko. A good tripod,
needless to say, and a good photo backpack (Lowe-Pro, Tenba, etc.) so you
can carry all of it and be able to hike comfortably. You might even want
to entertain a 1.4X for those 'Hail Mary' shots, and be sure to practice
with every piece before heading out.

                                           Doris Fang