Re: [OM] Hoods, Caps and why NOT CAPPED HOODS?

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoods, Caps and why NOT CAPPED HOODS?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:46:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, sunil manga wrote:

> Have YOU ever or is it always, gone thru the hassle of FIRST
> removing the lens cap, SECOND searching for the required
> HOOD, THIRD fixing it on the lens.

  IMHO, I hope no one is doing this time-consuming sequence in the field,
or while a model is waiting on them ! The shades should be on the lenses,
and without caps, so they're ready for use. What's going to get into
the lens in your bag (specially with a shade on ?). Once the lens is out
of the bag, and on a body, it should be ready for use. I would much rather
keep a "protective" filter on than a cap. Unless you're working in a
truly dusty/evil environment...

> Why should there NOT exist HOODS and HOOD CAPS?

  That's an excellent question, and I would answer it by saying that
when a hood is on a lens, the cap is superfluous (and opaque, meaning
you're NOT ready to shoot). It's like the never-ready cases of old, IMO.

> Having the HOOD on the lens left me craving for a lens cap!

  In all seriousness, why ? Ever been out traveling and seen a tourist
do a 2-minute lens change while being trampled by a horde of teenaged
Penitentes power-walking past him carrying spiky icons ? First, he (it is
almost always a man <--- gender slur!) has to peer into  his bag as if
he'd never seen it before. Then he takes the lens out, and removes the
front cap, digs for the appropriate shade, then removes the rear cap, and
either tucks it under his armpit, or back in the bag, while wrestling the
lens on the body off. Sometimes they put on a body cap at this point! The
laborious switch takes place (the wife often having to hold one or both
lenses), but then the removed lens must have its shade removed, front &
rear caps placed on...by then it's time for dinner! Small wonder P&S's
with zooms sell well.

                                     Doris Fang