[OM] Using normal auto flash with ISO 1000?

Subject: [OM] Using normal auto flash with ISO 1000?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:48:22 -0700
I bought some film for the wedding I am asked to shoot next month - a few rolls
each of the following:

GPX (160)
PMC (400)
PMZ (1000)

Given the late evening wedding, and likely dim lighting, I suspect it'll be the
400
and 1000 that I use. The only T series flash I have is a T20, (which is
obviously
inadequate), so I must rely on my QA 310 with Power Grip 1, which will
function on normal Auto only. The aperture choices are the problem:
with ISO 400, I get f/8, 11 and 16. Ok, not great but workable.
But with ISO 1000, I get: f11, 16, and 22 (actually 1/3 more than that, but
close
enough for print film).
So is my only choice to go with f/11 the whole time? (I'll probably use the
50/1.8 and 85/2 mostly, with the 35/2.8 for casual shots after the service).
I can see the advantages with DOF in casual shots, as it means focussing will
be less of a concern.
But since, according to the guide on the flash, both 400 and 1000 speeds still
yield the same maximum distance of 8m (at f/8 and f/11 1/3, respectively), is
there any advantage to using the 1000? (I'm thinking of those "down the aisle"
and "at the alter" shots, where I may be more than 5m away, but enlargement
quality may also be an issue on the final shots)
Can anyone shed some light on using fast film with non-TTL flash?

Thx.