[OM] Slide Duping

Subject: [OM] Slide Duping
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:52:27 -0400
I'm sorry, I don't know who brought this up originally, but as John P.
mentioned my use of the 20mm to enlarge sections of slides during copying ,
I thought I should at least make a comment or two.

I have a very good book, "The Manual of Slide Duplicating" by Mike and Pat
Q, Published by AMPHOTO 2nd printing April 1979.  ISBN 0-8174-2426-1.  I've
used it for many years..

They recommend, for slide duping from color slides to B&W negatives.. using
 a slow-speed commercial film like an orthochromatic film (insensitive to
red) so you can develop it using a red safelight and stop development when
it reaches the density you desire.  They exposed the film by projecting the
slide through an enlarger onto an easel and used cut film (4 x 5" or
larger).  This gives the best results, if you have a dark room, enlarger,
and can develop it yourself.  All of which can cost if you go out and buy
it.  Course, you can use a sink in the bathroom, jerry rig an enlarger and
get by in a pinch.  But, there are easier ways.

1. you could use contact printing.  Yes, you can figure out how to do it in
your bath, and manually, but you need to be really desparate.. then you can
develop yourself in a closed developing container and it actually works..
complicated, and I'd have to write you a page of instructions, but it does
work.

2.  make yourself a 1:1 setup using the flatest lens you have (MACRO
preferred) and a bellows, though you can even make the bellows or extension
tube, though it wouldn't be automatic - using a paper towel center carboard
cylinder and duct tape (I never go into the field without it!).  with
minimal experimentation, you can figure the distance you need from your
camera to your lens for 1:1 or actually larger than if you want just a
section of the slide, and using your camera and rigged extension tube on a
tripod, you can tape your slide to a window (hopefully facing some white
cement wall, or sky (cloudy is best).  Focus, and shoot with the rated B&W
ASA.  Use the slowest pan film you can, and it does work.

3.  I go half way.  I'm too lazy to use cut film and develop it, so I use
my *Olympus bellows, rail and copy transparency holder*, Zuiko 80mm Macro
copy lens (none better!) or the Zuiko 20mm for real blow ups, and Kodak
Panatomic X ASA 32 B&W film.  I don't know if it's still on the market??
I've got enough in my freezer to last until the Millenium.  I find the
quality is quite good, I have made 8 X 10 and larger prints with no
problems.  If you want to see an example, go to my site, click on "Company
Info" and see the B& W pic of my kids taken on slide film about 20 years
ago.  Course, that's not blown up, but you'll get the idea.

You don't need an autobellows, the non are much cheaper - use a tripod.
you can make the transparency holder, too.  I do a lot of this sort of
thing with students in Central America. If you can imagine it, you can
probably find a way to make something that'll get the job done.

Kerry

Kerry Dressler                  email: bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.bio-photo.com