Re: [OM] Refrigerate Film?

Subject: Re: [OM] Refrigerate Film?
From: "lion1" <c1000s@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:07:03 -0500
It has always been my understanding that consumer film is not aged yet.
[like wine I guess].  It can take a long time for someone to use up a roll
of 24exp.
if they are not shutterbugs. These rolls usually have a Christmas tree at
each end.
By then they are aged.

Pro film on the other hand is ready to use and the color is more critical to
a pro.
Refrigeration slows down the color shift [aging] and freezing virtually
eliminates it.

In most cases only a pro would care about this, amateurs blame themselves
when a print doesn't "come out right".

Be careful when you use cold film.  I leave refrigerated film out for 12
hours before I break the seal.  Frozen for 24.
This is what I was told at Olden Camera in NYC in the mid 70's.

I was doing large format for a furniture company at the time.
 Did this system work out well?  I had no problems with 1 year old film.

Regards
Charlie Loeven
Largo Florida