Re: [OM] Refrigerate Film?

Subject: Re: [OM] Refrigerate Film?
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:53:15 -0400
Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx> wrote:

<big ol' ship here>

>Anyway all this leads up to the question as to whether you have ever
>noticed a color difference resulting from the two methods of storage. Or
>have you never stored the film long enough for it age appreciably?

Good question.  I think the most fair answer is I simply don't know.  I've
never stored film, frozen or otherwise, appreciably beyond the marked
expiration date.  Since I shoot color negative 990f the time, a proper
critical evaluation is hardly possible.

What I have noticed is when I print a number of enlargements from the same
film emulsion lot, I have far fewer rejects.  Now mind you, I still fill up
the trash can, but my batting average improves greatly.  There are so many
other variables I like to kid myself I have some semblence of control over -
exposure time, processing step timing, color filtration - to name a few of
the major ones.  Mixed film types and lots make this all the more difficult.

Since I am messing with so many variables other than film storage
conditions, I can't honestly say much about a color difference in the film.
What I have observed is a level of repeatability in making prints with the
same batch of paper stored in a freezer and properly thawed (tightly wrapped
in the original packaging until warmed to room temp) over time.  I can
reproduce the enlarger setup and processing steps from my notes and the
second print is usually right on.

What I should do is an experiment with some slide film.  Then the only
difference left to evaluate is the storage conditions of the film.
John P