[OM] Replacing bottom plate (was "Please recommend repair ..."

Subject: [OM] Replacing bottom plate (was "Please recommend repair ..."
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:05:40 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:23, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>I bought an OM1n about 4 years ago that seemed to be in pretty good shape,
>but it had an SSA number engraved on the bottom which lowered the price. I
>took it to Oly USA in Fountain Valley and they did a CLA and replaced the
>bottom plate for about $80.

I am curious about replacing the bottom plate of an OM camera.  I brought
an OM2 which had a severely worn and scratched bottom plate to a camera
repair shop and asked them if they can replace it, and the answer was
"No".  They explained that because the serial number is on the bottom
plate, they cannot replace it because that will change the serial number
of the camera (maybe they are concerned about stolen cameras?).

So did anyone else have any experience in replacing (or trying to replace)
the bottom plate of an OM camera?
        -Dan