Re: [OM] Stones pictures: sOMe girls like it hot...

Subject: Re: [OM] Stones pictures: sOMe girls like it hot...
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:23:00 -0500
>In the mid-sixties-seventies I attended a lot of concerts, and photography
>was not forbidden at most of them. I don't go to big spectacles anymore,
>but it's too bad the whole music business is this corporate.

Unfortunately, it has to be this corporate.  There are many more highly paid
people required to put on a show with the technical level of today versus
the concerts of yesterday.  The expectations are so much greater (ie sound
quality, lighting, staging, and performance) than they used to be.  Schlock
won't fly just because somebody has a "message."  (Spice Girls and Hansen
are aberations).  Back in '68 the average mixing desk at a MAJOR concert
event as 24 channels at the most.  And that was for two openers and the main
act.  They still had inputs left over.  Today, that same Stones song is
mixed on two 72 channel mixing boards with routing switchers and full
automation and there are only a handful of B-input channels left over.
Sound systems have gone from 50,000 watts to 2,000,000 watts with multizone
control and audio "steering."  It isn't a matter that the concert was LOUD,
but it has to be loud 20 Hz to 20 kHz and in stereo in every seat in the
stadium.

Merchandising in the music industry (with the exception of record sales),
was not pushed or even understood until the early '80's.  Michael Jackson's
merchandising machine changed all that!

It is rare when a "hit song" is not manufactured.  The costs of production
is very high today.  The average record label will spend millions producing
and promoting an album.

Back in those days the OM series didn't exist either.  I will take today,
thank you.

Ken N.