Re: [OM] Suffering for your Art

Subject: Re: [OM] Suffering for your Art
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 03:51:29 EDT
Hi Kerry:

The worst part about working in nature is being forced to drop your equipment
in panic and then having to retrieve it!  I left an early model Olympus
Pearlcorder [note the OLY content] at a nest site when I was swarmed and stung
about 22 times.  It can also send you running and then you do stupid things
like trip and fall.

Fear of snakes has a way of shutting down both my right and left brain.  I
pretty much have to hike in my snake boots to be able to get over it and
concentrate.
I got over a fear of alligators by swimming with them in Bugg Spring - my old
backyard in Okahumpka, FL.  I watched my mentor, a former Univ. of Hawii
zoology professor, play chicken with them by swimming right at one.  Now I
know they have a fear of people.

Poison sumac is a potential problem for folks photographing in northern US
wetlands.  It once got it the outside of my vest.  I wore the vest a week
later and rubbed my arms on it repeatedly.  I ended up with a bad case of
dermititis.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV