[OM] Kid's and our OM's

Subject: [OM] Kid's and our OM's
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 03:32:03 EDT
Hi all:

 >Actually, George has very little to complain about, as compared
 >to other places on Earth California is relatively free of the
 >various bugs/insects/crawlers/snakes and other such vermin. >>

Susie got tired of me dragging her off to the desert (even though the creepy
crawlers are going nocturnal now), so we are traveling instead in those same
sterile areas of California.  I've got a new OM-4 in hand and took it out on
the wharf at Santa Barbara.  Funny thing, only one other 35 mm SLR among a
zillion point and shoots.  It was an OM-1 with a Vivitar zoom!  My son (Sam)
saw a backlight sail boat scene which I immediately recognized as being
perfect for the 200 mm Zuiko I had mounted.  I passed him the camera and he
was delighted to frame and shoot exactly what HE saw.  Nice start to picture
taking!  He then aimed it at brown pelicans and on my suggested moved right up
the frame just the head and beak.  That was rather exciting for a 12 year old.

It sure is fun to teach kids photography, but I discovered you have to wait
till they are ready. Sam was pretty interested with the mechanics of the
shutter on a Canon A-1 just a day earlier.  Enough to tell him what the
various speeds mean in picture taking results.  I wonder what is next?  Maybe
I'll be looking for another OM-G, like I gave his older sister.

He'll be with me when I shoot a 4x5" landscape I've been pondering.  Hopefully
he won't aspire to one of those!  Read: $$$  But then there was Brett Weston .
. .

Gary Reese
Ls Vegas, NV