Re: [OM] 2X TC becomes a 26mm auto tube... :-)

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X TC becomes a 26mm auto tube... :-)
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:28:29 -0800
On  2 Jul 98 at 16:40, Soenke Jansen wrote:

> > Last night I successfully removed the lens elements from my Vivitar 2X TC to
> > create an extension tube. I tried a few shots with my 35/2.8 and 85/2 and
> > was
> > quite pleased with the bright image in the finder. [...]
>
> Hi Shawn,
> that's a great idea. I have an old Vivitar 2xTC and I'm not too pleased
> with it's optical performance. Maybe a 26mm auto tube could be it's
> second career once I find a reasonably priced Zuiko 2xTC (or another
> good one, any recommendations?).
> However, if I took all the glass out, it's internal 'open diameter'
> would be much smaller compared to the Olympus 14mm auto tube that I have
> (ca. 28mm instead of 37mm in the original). Won't that create a problem?
> What is the internal diameter in your DIY auto tube?

I was worried about that also - I didn't measure it, but would guess that it's
around 25mm diameter. In any case, the lens group unscrewed easily in one unit,
so it would be easy to reassemble back to a 2X TC. (mine is marked Vivitar
2X-21, yours may be the same?) If vignetting is a problem, the black plate can
be removed, although you would lose the auto lever in the process.

I tried it with a 35/2.8 and 85/2 and saw no signs of vignetting in the
finder. I haven't developed the film yet though.